Thursday, March 8, 2012

Spring!

Even though we’ve had a very mild winter this year, I am so ready to get out in the garden and flower beds.  I’ve ordered strawberry and asparagus starts and seeds for some other first-time tries for this year’s garden.

Like most, I’ve been combing the magazines that promise that if I take some pot found in junk pile and put flowers in it, my garden will be the envy of my neighbors.  I think about such attempts and don’t see why I can’t do that and have my garden look trendy and relaxing and rival the likes of Martha Stewart’s garden.

You know how some people just have the touch? That ‘something’ that comes out in whatever they do? My challenge is that when I add a unique element to my garden spaces, it looks like I tried to add something to my garden and doesn’t end up looking anything like the magazine picture perfect garden I long to have. 

There is a sweet gal that lives not too far from me that has that touch, that something I long for.  She can pick up a bucket that looks like it lost a fight with a bulldozer, put nothing in it at all, set it in one of her numerous flower beds, with no intention of leaving it there and it just looks like it’s at home.  What is that all about?  My stuff doesn’t look that cool even when I don’t try. 

So, this year I’m on a quest to improve my gardening and outdoor space decorating skills.  I decide at the end of last summer, the existing mulch in the flower beds has got to go.  I need to re-lay soaker hose and just give my beds a face lift.  The birdbath has a decidedly southward lean, the maiden grass looks too clumpy and well, it all looks . . . really bad. 

I have grand visions of a beautiful vegetable garden with perfect rows of spinach, lettuce, peas and green beans and beautiful tomato plants loaded with plenty of fruit for fresh eating, canning and sharing.  My beloved zucchini is a must because it seems when I can’t grow much else zucchini pulls through for me.  Of course there will be cucumbers, some of which will be made into relish and home canned pickles. 

New on the agenda for this year is an herb garden.  I have been researching exactly what one does with an herb garden.  I’ve come across several articles that stress the importance of laying out your herb garden to get the most Zen for your buck.  It seems some herbs do better if they are planted next to other herbs.  There are herbs I could plant in my flower beds and herbs that only want garden space.  Who woulda thought an herb garden could be so complicated?

Needless to say, I have my hands full trying to figure out what to do next.  In the land of Google, I’m finding some answers.  As with most things, I need to get my plan and work the plan.  I’ve been accumulating stuff for the flower beds and garden.  Going through out buildings and retrieving forgotten items that may or may not make the cut.  Sooner or later, I’ll have to make some decisions and maybe I’ll have some Zen – whatever that is supposed to be. 

I’ll keep y’all posted.  Oh look!  There’s a bucket!!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment